Friday, August 24, 2007

Friday Log: Meet Allison and Pat

Today I was beyond wiped. Yesterday was a 21-hour work day, followed by an early-morning call to meet a client.

I was 'off' all day.

Yoga was no exception. If I'm feeling a bit tired, sometimes yoga will bring me up because I get to breathing, moving and thinking mindfully.

Not today.

Everything in my practice was slow, and a number of the poses I opted not to do, in favour of taking a Child's Pose.


This is part of what I'm coming to understand yoga to be: your own practice at your own pace.

At the end of the 90-minute class I felt like someone had steam-rolled me, even though I had done all this self-pacing. I came out of the studio into the lobby to discover my Tuesday instructor, Pat, sitting at the front door. He was waiting for our class to end so he could do some of his own practice.

I've been meaning to catch both Allison and Pat for a photo op., but this seemed too good to be true - all three of us in the same place at the same time.

Here we are in two separate poses (pardon the punn).



It seemed we couldn't get Allison and Pat to smile at the same time!
These are two people who have crossed my path, and to whom I owe a
great debt of thanks.

Each, in their own way, have helped me along my path of well-being. Allison has invited me to arrive 30 minutes early on Fridays for some one-on-one instruction, and Pat has warmly encouraged me (and at times been more than pointed about it) to "make my practice my own". Each offer me a slightly different perspective on the practice of yoga, and together provide me a much wider scope of vision for my sessions.

The spirit in me acknowleges and respects the spirit in Pat and the spirit in Allison. Good, gentle souls, both.

Namaste.

2 comments:

cathouse teri said...

I don't think I can do yoga, but I'm so glad that so many people love it. It's a good thing, for sure.

Roshanthi said...

I tried some yoga myself. I remeber the first few classes, and coming home with parts of me I didn;t know existed hurting! But after getting used to yoga, it really did improve my energy level. Unfortuntaly the classes have been stopped for summer.