Monday, May 26, 2008

Reflection on balance

For some time - years in fact - I`ve heard that `balance` is something that one does not simply achieve and let be. Balance in one`s life is something that is found again and again as life`s circumstances cause us to lose our awareness of the `whole` and perhaps hyperfocus on a part or on nothing in particular.

I`ve spent some time away from yoga because it got away on me. I read in a book this weekend two things that I allowed to soak in:

"Be patient with yourself. Self-growth is tender; it`s holy ground. There`s no greater investment."

the other I remeber only the gist of and it's about a man who runs four hours a day, proclaiming that in doing so he is adding ten years to his life. What he doesn`t realize is that in doing so, he`s spending those ten years running!

These two little tidbits brought me back to a balanced way of thinking where yoga is concerned. I remember when I was happiest doing yoga. It was about this time last year. I was attending sessions once or twice per week. I allowed myself to be talked into "yoga should be practiced every day", and not wanting to be half-way dedicated to it, I signed up.

It was too much.

I began to not only regret it, but detest it in a way as something I HAD to do.

There's a massage therapy clinic not far from where I live that has a sign posted offering yoga beginning June 1st. I think I'll check it out.

No comments: