Sunday, November 23, 2008

Yet another gentle soul

Today I decided to take in a 90-minute yoga class.

Some of the poses in the Primary series are difficult for me to achieve simply because of the way my body is structured. When standing, my knees set parallel, my right foot is pointed outward at about 30 degrees. What this translates to in the seated postures is a great deal of difficulty achieving full- or half-Lotus based postures. I can sometimes sit on a block to buy myself some lift, and that makes my favourite posture,

Tiriang Mukha Eka Pada Paschmottanasana, easier... well, possible to do. This photo shows the full posture with the forward bend. I simply sit in Dandasana,

incorporating the leg bend, but no forward fold because my hamstrings scream! Folding at the hips in this position, I can get my chin slightly toward my knees, but only slightly! In Paschmottanasana, I get a really great hamstring and quad stretch. Sitting with my back straight in this position, I could probably enjoy it for a very long time.

The instructor today was someone I'd never met - Emily Valdes. She has a way of encouraging a deeper expression of the poses without incurring pain. I like that - a lot! It must be her 'gentle-as-a-lamb' approach. Her words are kind and encouraging and her delivery is soft, but direct. Some instructors single out only a few students as they make their way around the room. Emily appeared to check in with each of us at least once if not twice during our time together.

This was only my third class since 'forever', and already my body feels better.

I was thinking about the whole Western notion of work, and how often we hear people complain about "having to go to work", or even "having to do this" or "having to do that". I get those feelings about things I have to do in excess, not necessarily that I have to do them.

So now, my challenge to myself is this: it is said of yoga that "you'll go farther faster if you take a loving attitude toward yourself and work from where you are, not from where you think you should be." so, consciously applying this principle to the other areas of my life may in fact, yield similar results. Also, doing a little bit of work, a little bit of exercise, a little bit of social stuff, a little bit of play, a little bit of rest and a little bit of meditation - each day - will yield me a healthy, happy and full, rich life.

My folks always said,

"The world's a brighter place after a good night's sleep."

and

"The world's a brighter place after a bite to eat."

Wise words.

Namaste,
Peace.

No comments: