Monday, November 24, 2008

Yoga's Edge

There was an edge to yoga today.

It started with the group of chatty cathys who, rather voisterously, disrupted the quiet time preceeding class. Two were in the studio setting up their mats, the third came in dressed fully in her winter coat and the three of them yammered on and on with seemingly no respect for the sanctuary that is the studio space.

No matter... on with class. Kim Weibe strikes me as intense. She pushes, all the time saying "go at your own pace..." but she pushes. She also cramed as much as humanly possible into the 50-minute session. It seems we did about the same amount of 'work' yesterday, but in an hour and a half. In fact, we went overtime since she hadn't done all the core work she'd intended.

I don't find her encouraging, I find her to be much like a drill sargaent. It didn't help that I went in with a lot on my mind this afternoon.

All that said, I think there was a reason I was to take this class, and today. As we were lying in cool-down mode, she talked about how we often live, planning for a tomorrow that never really comes because we haven't learned to live in the now. We're always looking forward to this condition or that condition to hold true before we can really enjoy life. She very effectively brought my mind back to the very present moment, in the very present space I was in, and that made up in my mind for the unsettledness I'd felt during instruction.

No comments: