Monday, January 4, 2010

Working past the friction point

I took in an evening class tonight - 7:30 to 9:00. It was a Level 1 class, which I felt would do me more good as I work past the "friction point", as I call it: that achey "OMG, this is too much for my body" thing that happens when I've left yoga (and overall movement in general) alone for too long.

It felt good to go slowly. I was reminded by tonight's practice of the importance of frequency when it comes to physical exercise. i also, just now, remembered something Pat told me a couple years ago: "It's better to do a little, a lot, than a lot, a little". Words to live by, for certain.

Two things I noticed tonight:

One - my breathing has been rather shallow lately, and by focusing on deep, controlled breaths, I really noticed a difference not only in my alertness, but my posture.

Two - my hip flexors and those darned muscles just opposite them - forgotten what they're called - have been REALLY tight, to the point of being almost impeding. Cross-legged postures were quite challenging tonight.

I plan to head back tomorrow for Pat's lunch time class which runs shy of an hour, so it'll be a good break in the middle of the day.

No comments: