Sunday, March 28, 2010

The Final Stretch

The 31-day challenge is nearing an end. I have mixed emotions about it, too. It's been challenging, invigorating, exhausting and charging - seemingly all at once. I must admit that I've caught myself in a mode of competitiveness now and again, and when that happens I tend to get disappointed in my progress - as if the forward motion in the physical realm were the end-all and be-all.

I surprised myself last week when I did about three hours of fairly heavy gardening - moving gravel, shovelling loam, digging trenches and filling holes. At the end of it, all I really wanted was a meal - I was hungry; not tired, not sore, not beat - simply hungry. That, to me, is a sign that the continuous yoga practice is indeed paying off.

Have to admit though, it would be a really great feeling to do all the postures with dead-on accuracy, steadiness and a mindful flow. I catch myself now and again watching those who practice with effortless movements and breath. I watch with a sense of awe and amazement, and I guess it gives me something to shoot for.

I've had something going early-morning each and every day for just over a week, and I've lost a fair amount of sleep because of it all. I'm stoked about how the yard is coming together, and it's meant I've put in a lot of hours this last weekend - even past the point of "I should go to bed".

So... I'm going to bed.

Turtle out... er... namaste.

No comments: