Sunday, February 15, 2009

In a way, it's exactly like going to the gym

I discovered this on Friday when I returned to the Mysore class in the morning. My right shoulder not only ached, but was downright painful. I've been concentrating on controlled lowering in Chaturanga - pushup if you will - and learned from Audra on the previous Wednesday that MOST people rush through lowering and don't get the benefit of the strength training. I was pleased with myself for taking it on, however what I had done was common to a lot of people who go to the gym.

I'd done too much.

You see, what I had also learned about people who go to the gym is that they use it, sometimes, to release stress, anxiety and sometimes even anger. I'd done just that since I had gone to Pat's class Thursday at lunch, followed by a 7:30 class Thursday night with Carolina. Here I was at a 7:30 Mysore instructional on Friday morning... what was I thinking???

Later that afternoon I addressed my shoulder issue with my student massage therapist, Rashida. She didn't seem to be concerned one way or the other except to say that it appeared that the work we'd done over the last two weeks seemed to have reversed itself. We'd managed to level out my scapula to within one centemeter (from seven at the beginning of the treatments). Disappointing, to say the least. I began to wonder if I'd ever be fixed. I started doing math in my head to figure out what this treatment would cost me in dollars at a massage therapy clinic. It seems my little stint at the yoga studio not only over exhurted my body, but my budget as well. If I had been paying for the treatments, it would have translated to a $350.00 oops. I'm not sure I need any of those, really. Either Rashida was looking for payback, or simply being 'cruel to be kind'. That day she dug around my shoulder and arm pit to the point of almost-tears on the part of her client. Today, Sunday, my shoulders, neck and anything directly connected hurts.

I'm feeling this incredible sense of frustration with keeping healthy. The body, it seems, isn't so simple, and with all the bits and pieces that require constant attention I'm wondering when anyone who is conscious of what's going on with their physical well-being ever has time to do anything else?

Perhaps all of this is simply to re emphasise the point, "Do not push your practice. Yoga happens only in the now. Listen to your body. Be honest with yourself."

I was going to make an 11:00 yoga class this morning, however I think the 4:00 is a better bet. The other Emily is teaching at four, and she's a gentle soul.

I need a little of that right now.

No comments: