Monday, February 9, 2009

A new soul and a different take on Ashtanga

Gosh, it's been a while since I've posted here. Been taking in yoga several times a week though. I've noticed a decidedly more focused attitude in myself, too. I'm payimg more attention to the correctness of each posture - somewhat A-type of me, I know, which goes against what yoga stands for, but I feel driven about it somehow. Probably much like how those who go to the gym feel about their daily work outs. I discovered a new class, too. Early mornings offer the Mysore Room which is effectively an environment which offers one-on-one instruction on the Primary Series Ashtanga. I decided to go on Wednesday last week, and it was a workout like I've never worked out! I explained to the attending instructor, Audra, that although I'm all for letting my practice "happen", I am interested in at least going in the right direction as far as learning the correct posture for each... posture. This includes things like being mindful of pelvic control in a pushup, wrist creases in downward-facing dog (too much of a crease is an indication of yout weight being too far forward in the posture)and pacing the postures with the breath... oh, and everyone's favourite: core strength.

On Sunday it was Sara who commented to me about my sense of control in Chatarunga (low plank). I was impressed with my progress!

There are two instructors in the Mysore room - Audra and Emily. Emily is shown here with her instructor from one of her trips to Mysore, India. I saw her in passing, but didn't take a class with her until Friday night. She subbed, so it was quite by chance that I bumped into her. Crazy thing was that she recognized me from Wednesday morning! Often the instructors will adjust a posture for you even in a led class, but what Emily did for me took me completely by surprise, and provided me with a rather intense experience. Balance postures are no one's favourite, and I am certainly no exception. I usually hang out in a very elementary state, simply looking for balance and not concerning myself with the full posture of extending the raised leg or binding with my arms, bowing my nose to my knee or any of that. Emily said nothing, but simply walked up, grabbed my raised leg and extended it out in one motion, telling me to grab my toe. I was so completely shocked, I forgot to fall over! There I was, standin on my left leg, right leg extended out in front, and my fingers wrapped around my big toe. Emily of course, was offering couter balance by holding my extended leg under her arm. I now had a feeling of what it was like to be in a deeper expression of a pose that's simply frightened me from day one. She did the same on the left side, and was completely calm about the whole thing. She even encouraged me to look over my opposite shoulder which sounds simple enough until it comes to doing it. Amazing.

No comments: