Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Beginner Ashtanga - a time to breathe

Indeed. Tonight, Dana's class seemed almost peaceful. It's probably because I've been attending Level 2 classes - much higher-paced and athletic. Having started at the Shala in '07, I was probably the longest standing pupil in the room of almost-all-beginners. I like taking the slower-paced intro classes - they're a nice break.

For the first time in two weeks, I came to the end of class refreshed, not tired. I think my body's conditioning to the consistent physical exercise.

Ages ago (back in late '07 I think) I was whining in a blog post about Yoga Mala days - a period of time that you're encouraged to come to the mat for an entire month - every day. At the time I saw it as a marketing tool to get you to come to the studio. Under Dana's management, however, I don't feel that way about the "31-day challenge" starting March 1st. I've been going 15 days straight and as I do more, it simply becomes habit. It's helping me deal with the incredible stress going on in other areas of my life - effectively might I add.

I bought a bolster tonight too. I've been sleeping with a rolled-up comforter running the length of my spine for the last number of nights. It's helped roll my shoulders back, stretching out my traps and pecs. My shoulders are levelling out, and I'm feeling taller these days - if only by an inch or so. I start using the bolster tonight - excited, actually!

Chiropractic in the morning, so we'll see what Dr. Mike has to say!

Peace.

No comments: