Saturday, May 22, 2010

Update on my cranky shoulder

...how time flies! Since my last post, I haven't been to yoga. Turns out I sprained a tendon attachment in my right rotator cuff. I've been the last number of weeks at the massage therapy school, three times a week.

Last week I felt a great deal better and although the sharp pain is gone, the achiness persists, along with some burning sensation where the pectoral muscle meets the bicep in the front of my shoulder. My student therapists have all agreed that the burning is a GOOD thing, confirming circulation. I was initially in fear of having torn something, and that's never good.

My body's been telling me all sorts of things lately - mostly what some might deem,

"...you're getting older!"

I prefer to remain in denial, standing by,

"18 til I die".

I learned that setbacks can, in a moment, destroy what's taken months, even years to accomplish. I've also heard that once back on track, the catchup can be quick.

I've been cleared by the instructor at the Professional Institute of Massage Therapy to return to yoga, but to "cheat" chatturanga, or plank by dropping to my knees rather than up on the toes.

"It's an incredibly demanding posture, supporting your body weight like that...",
he said in our initial assessment.

The difference between chaturanga (the Ashtanga version of plank) and plank (often associated with Pilates) is that in chaturanga, you're not poised on your forearms and elbows,



but rather palms-down with elbows tucked in to the sides of your body.



This puts more stress on the pecs and the muscles connecting at the front of the rotator cuff.

So, yup, I've overdone it at yoga. In-keeping with a yogic approach to healing, I've been a good little yogi and backed it off. I do, however wish to return to class.

I'll keep you posted.

No comments: