Friday, July 2, 2010

A yogic reunion

I returned to yoga on Wednesday; went to Dana's Beginner class, quite mindful of my right shoulder. Back in April I'd sprained something in my rotator cuff - a tendon attachment (of which there are plenty) but it translated to a significant strain of the segment of the triceps where they attach to the rotator cuff. Massage therapy for eight weeks has helped tremendously, but continued use at work has caused re-injury, not to mention a heightened frustration.

Twice my shoulder locked up as I extended into triangle pose, and I very much had to cheat chaturanga and anything resembling plank. I simply could not weight-bare. Yesterday my left triceps felt as painful as my right. I'm really frustrated because I'm trying to build strength in these areas so as not to allow for re-injury, and in the process, I'm re-injuring. Ugg.

I suppose this is where the rubber meets the road where my yoga practice is concerned. How much of what I want is simply physical fitness, and how much is a want to be truly mindful of my 'now' position?

No comments: